There are two categories of business decision, which require sets of questions:
- Management decisions, regarding the part of your organization’s resources that you can directly control
- Strategic decisions, regarding your position within the larger competitive environment, which you cannot control directly
Within the management realm, you ask:
- How does it affect product quality?
- How does it affect product cost?
- How does it affect operation efficiency?
Within the competitive realm you ask:
- What is my position relative to the competition in the customer’s mind?
- Where is there an opening that allows me to improve my relative position against the competition despite their likely responses?
- Do I have the resources to take advantage of that opening or opportunity better than my competition?